* The Weekly Image Thread 20 11 30 #504 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,024
Mallards and Merganser

One of the things I see in these is one shot at ISO3200 as an experiment. Looks pretty darn good to me and the duck was in the shade. The Merganser is a small bird and pretty far away. I don't think I would have tried this photo with the 40-150PRO. I would have had to crop it too much. It might have worked but I would have shot birds closer. Some birds in this location never come close enough. They stay farther from shore like the Merganser. This is one of the things I learned Sunday. I would not have attempted to shoot the Merganser with the 40-150PRO and the MC20. I would have thought the bird was too far. But here it is with the 100-400 and the MC20 at 1,600mm f/14 and I like the images. And from the mallard image I can use ISO3200. This presents possibilities for images I can't get with a shorter lens. The 100-400 has 2.66X more reach. Even though the images I took with it cannot be cropped much it doesn't matter when the subject nearly fills the frame without cropping. The same shot with the 40-150PRO might look as good cropped more or it might not. It will be lower resolution. There is a big gap between the two lenses that can be filled buy the 75-300 but it isn't a PRO quality lens and not up to the 100-400 either IMO. The gap can be filled by the 100-400 without the MC20. Looking at these and more images I will post is making me think I need the 100-400 for subjects like the Merganser when I need the reach.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow