Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

I am late to the party here, but my two cents' worth: I purchased this lens in really excellent condition from KEH a few years ago. It is very sharp; no problem there. As others have indicated, its being f5.6 and manual focus means that one has to hone some focusing skills. But this is not rocket science. The lens is very large and heavy. Results can be superb. I put a Lenscoat on mine. It is wonderful lens, especially considering its priced used, a fraction of the price of the contemporary AF VR version.

That said, I don't use the lens often at all, especially since COVID, and also because frankly, my GAS has led me to own multiple long lenses within both the Nikon and Olympus systems. I was just thinking recently that I should sell my 800 f5.6 MF. But it is so big and heavy, just dealing with shipping is a headache. I will stay put for now.

Blue-winged teal, Arrowhead Marsh, Oakland, CA  Nikon D850, Nikkor 800mm f5.6 EDIF AI-S

Doug Greenberg

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow