Why no raw histogram yet?

Started Jan 10, 2019 | Discussions thread
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,167
BeatFlat = Raw Histogram

Ernie Misner wrote:

Would it really be that difficult to give us a raw histogram in the Z7 at least? Or am I in the minority that would jump up and down for joy?

I know this thread & comment is over 1 year old; but since someone has revived this thread...

If you shoot raw and want a linear raw histogram, I'd recommend you make the following picture control (start with Flat, then use this custom curve):

Or, if you want to gather more exposure precision, you can "ignore / normalize" unusable noise in the histogram to increase the overall amplitude displayed in the histogram. This would be usable if you expose to max and realize shadows are what they are.

Either way will work for your purposes.

This will result in a linear render, and the histogram displayed using this picture control will be very close to a raw histogram (though scaled less precisely, obviously).

As an example, if we took the following linear gradient:

Render it linearly on an accurate display, take a picture of it on the camera (filling the frame) and getting to just under full saturation, the "Standard" histogram would look like this:

While my first ("true linear") custom Picture Control above would look like this:

And my second ("ignore shadow noise to improve precision") control above would look like this:

For reference, here is the raw histogram, from rawdigger:

Spot on.

So as you can see, my custom Picture Controls do a really good job of providing the same information you'd get from a raw histogram--and are completely different from the "standard" histograms.

You can always fine-tune it to be perfect if you want. But I don't think it would make any practical difference--it is already almost perfect, given the limitations of the Picture Control precision.

Look up my "BeatLog-ii + Beat's Flat" thread for more details.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow