Re: Wait a bit. Coming up: 8K OLED displays

sybersitizen wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

TN Args wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

1. TN Args wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

I love your charming diatribe! If it's directed at the "prints" issue, you're absolutely right.

The bright future is, however, that your glorious, sharp, colorful creations will be shown on 55"-65", thin, wall-mounted 8K OLED displays, and there they will display their truly stunning beauty - something that no print could come even close to matching!

So, it's a matter of time, until homes and galleries will no longer hang "paper." In other words, the display medium is in the process of changing, to something spectacular.

You clearly have little experience of fine photographic printing. Neither analogue nor digital.

And how is your experience of the future 8K HDR OLED displays?

He is right: there are some things that a great display panel can do that a print can't. Simply by virtue of being backlit, just for starters. Whether there are any things about prints that a future display panel can't match is an interesting debate I'm sure, but is not what he said.

His main point is also correct: the 'small screens mean big cameras are pointless' argument is fake, because it ignores the fact that there will be a minority of people interested in large image viewing, and the big cameras serve this.

In the past, large screens have been unsatisfactory due to poor resolution, poor DR, and limited colour space. Your comment applies to them. But photographers should be excited, because large screens are finally 'getting there', and the day is nigh when they will be rewarding to examine closely in the same manner as a fine print. Especially when set up well, instead of like a TV in a whitegoods showroom, ugh.

cheers

As I said. Someone who clearly has no experience of the photographic fine print. This is indeed yet another way to display photography but it will not be able to reproduce the qualities of a toned silver print or the surface textures of a digital print on high quality art paper.

And as I said: he never claimed it would.

I quote - So, it's a matter of time, until homes and galleries will no longer hang "paper."

Saying it's a matter of time, until homes and galleries will no longer hang "paper" is not at all the same as saying digital displays will reproduce the qualities of toned silver print or the surface textures of a digital print on high quality art paper. Those are two different statements, only one of which RUcrAZ made.

If you want to take exception to what RUcrAZ actually wrote, you can contend that there will never be a time when homes and galleries no longer hang "paper" ... but that's about all.

Wilfully misunderstanding my point does not make you right. No matter how clear or detailed an oled screen can get, it cannot reproduce the experience of a fine art print, which no screen "could even come close to matching". OLED display is an addition, not a replacement.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow