Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
J_o_e_l
J_o_e_l Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: With samples to show

J_o_e_l wrote:

I have a Z6... what I've found is the Z6 applies a pretty heavy "High ISO Noise Reduction" to photos that are shot above 12,800 ISO.

So two steps to try...

1. Check your "High ISO Noise Reduction" and see if it's on High or Auto... if so, try Low or even off. You'll get a little more visible grain in your photos, but they will be a lot sharper (yes, given that you are in focus of course! :)).

2. As others have suggested, check your Auto ISO settings (menu/photo shooting menu/ISO sensitivity settings)... The top line I set to 100, then below I usually set it to on of course then max somewhere between 12,800-20,000, with a minimum shutter of 1/60th if you have young non-shaky hands, or 1/200 if you have any kind of hand shake when you squeeze or do tedious things.

Take care,

Joel

Hi again,

Instead of just saying this... here's a 4 shot collage showing the noise reduction removing clarity in high ISO scenarios (as shot by me just now). From left to right: setting High ISO Noise Reduction to Off, Low, Normal and High effect. Focus point is on Santa's face. All shot at ISO 12,800 and f/2... Check out how much of his nose detail is lost as the reduction increases. I believe this could be a setting that's causing your Z6 images to not "pop" the way your D300 does.

Off, Low, Normal, High settings of ISO Noise Reduction

A little bit closer now...

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Joel

J_o_e_l's gear list:J_o_e_l's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow