Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,398
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

J_o_e_l wrote:

Unfortunately, the internet is a really tough spot to get help. More people are just out to either sound brash or to find confirmation bias than are actually here to help.

I have a Z6 (and many other Nikons)... what I've found is the Z6 applies a pretty heavy "High ISO Noise Reduction" to photos that are shot above 12,800 ISO.

Do you know if it is activated at 12,800?

So two steps to try...

1. Check your "High ISO Noise Reduction" and see if it's on High or Auto... if so, try Low or even off. You'll get a little more visible grain in your photos, but they will be a lot sharper (yes, given that you are in focus of course! :)).

Do you know if this is performed on the RAW data or is only apparent in jpegs?

2. As others have suggested, check your Auto ISO settings (menu/photo shooting menu/ISO sensitivity settings)... The top line I set to 100, then below I usually set it to on of course then max somewhere between 12,800-20,000, with a minimum shutter of 1/60th if you have young non-shaky hands, or 1/200 if you have any kind of hand shake when you squeeze or do tedious things.

In (M) mode, minimum shutter speed is ignored, as it should be. That is what I suggest. Trying to use Auto ISO in the other modes, especially (A) was very frustrating for me. You will find yourself wanting to change that minimum depending on the scene and getting frustrated that you have to go into the menus constantly. What better way to eliminate that than by setting shutter speed to the rear dial - by using (M) mode and learning what different situations require.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow