Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,295
Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens

jwpnyc wrote:

I did micro-adjustments today. The camera was on a tripod. I tried both viewfinder autofocus and touch screen auto-focus. Both seem fine.

What bothers me is when I take the camera out during actual use. The autofocus seems not as reliable as I expected. I took about 100 photos yesterday and about 20 pictures were not useable. I am not sure if it is my skill or there is a problem with the 50mm f/1.2 autofocus.

You do realize how thin dof is at 1.2 right? The slightest of movement handheld will throw off critical focus. This lens is also not particularly sharp wide open either if you compare it to other more recent offerings... with that being said I am happy with the resolution of this lens.
I was in a similar position as you a couple years ago with this lens and determined that close focusing at wide apertures with this lens is not the ideal use case. This lens isn’t for everyone either. It gets its fair share of criticism here in the forums but, I am on the side of the fence that this lens is like a painters tool. If you’re looking for the best resolution, best AF accuracy, and best “iq” I’d look at other 50mm offerings. Just my humble opinion.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow