Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Jerry Fisher wrote:

I try to stay away from auto ISO. It always tends to run up . If you want to stay in a usable range, put in a limit auto ISO will stop at. Maybe 1600 is your comfort level, maybe 400. Practice. You'll get it dialed in.

Take some pics and see where you are comfortable as your max auto ISO setting.

The Z6 should tolerate higher iso better than the D300.

Z6 takes a little time to get used to coming from a DSLR.

I was a D300 user. Great camera, but not great above ISO 1600, 3200 in a pinch. That is the camera I learned to be adept with in manual mode and changing settings quickly on the fly.

The Z 6 is smaller and is less painful to use (hand/wrist problems made it unlikely I would ever go full frame, until the Z showed up). I use it in Manual with Auto ISO, set to a max of 6400 or 12800. I want to control the shutter speed, as you do, due to moving subjects. I also want to control the aperture for light and creative reasons. The camera can float the ISO.

I do miss some of my D300 and even D7100's physical controls. I agree with others that there is a learning curve due to the different autofocus modes and button customizations. Taking the time to sit down and go through it all will increase confidence and be greatly rewarding.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow