Question on R5 Image Processing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,204
Re: DPP4 vs Capture One 20

steveg wrote:

I have an R5 and have not found the conversion time to be noticeably slower than my 5D MK III files. As pointed out though, I have found the time to make adjustments unacceptable. I am currently using a four year old Alienware 15" laptop. I just ordered a Dell XPS 17 with 32 GB of memory, 2 TB SSD, UHD Display, and NVIDIA 2060 6GB. This should give me a big difference over my old PC.

Very few laptops have the grunt of even a mid-range desktop. This is because the laptop CPUs are so heavily throttled back to reduce heat and power consumption that they are nowhere close to a desktop CPU.

Think about the size of even a stock Intel CPU cooling fan & heatsink and an average desktop 700W power supply (and obviously the "infinite" mains power supply) and compare that to the cooling and power supplies from even a decent laptop like a XPS 17 - that will tell you why the laptop can never house a CPU of similar grunt to a desktop (except in very rare & expensive cases perhaps).

As an example, here is a benchmarking comparison between a 3rd gen i5 desktop CPU and a 10th gen i5 laptop CPU, and the ancient desktop CPU is still 50% faster than the brand new laptop CPU.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3340-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10210U/m2710vsm819403

If you want "real" performance get a desktop (or spend massive dollars on a very high spec gaming laptop) - and perhaps use something other than DPP.

In all seriousness, I just try to plan my conversion so that I am not waiting for DPP. I might go to DPP, open 1,000 RAW files, apply lens corrections and DLO, do a decent number of "spot checks" on whether I want to change WB settings or Picture Styles, and once done wait until the evening when I am not going to use my desktop in the evening, and start the conversion to TIFF and walk away.

Come through in the morning and it is all done.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow