Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,975
Re: Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

The Von-ographer wrote:

lehill wrote:

It looks like you found all the reasonably-priced E-mount OSS lenses. You could try using the Lens Feature search to make sure. There just aren't that many lenses of the type you're looking for.

I have this crazy idea that moving to a used A6500 or A6600 (both have IBIS) would cost more in the short-term but give you more (and cheaper), lens choices in the long run. It would be great if you could use the SAL1650 f/2.8, a truly top-notch A-mount DT lens. In the USA, Sony will still sell one to you for US$800 but the last time I checked used ones were going for US$300.

Do you mean this lens???

https://www.camerapro.com.au/9027-sony-e-16-55mm-f-2-8-g-aps-c-lens.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs70gm9N7-WUGAiEvS5cAWTSsCQdiKQ4vebVbagqu9Ima9yZLbmFXKmEaAmKdEALw_wcB

No, the SEL1655G is an E-mount lens. Nice lens, but expensive and isn't stabilized (no OSS). You mentioned you needed stabilized lenses.

The SAL1650 is an A-mount lens with built-in SSM focus motor. It doesn't have OSS but it's really good, fast (f/2.8), and cheap. It's a logical step up from your SAL1855 f/3.5-5.6.

Get a SAL1650 if you can be OK with a non-OSS lens. It has all the requirements to work with your adapter and A6400.

I have an amount to e mount converter which works great... so i can buy any a mount lens as well. And i can see some good A mount version on Ebay for sale for only $500

Also found this?

Sony SAL-1680Z Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 cameras lens

The SAL1680Z does not have a built-in focus motor (no SAM, no SSM). It may not work with your adapter. Sony makes five different A- to E-mount adapters. Each one has different capabilities.

Please don't start buying random A-mount lenses for your A6400 without learning more.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow