A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,753
A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

I've just ordered an a7RIV and Sony 24-105/F4G, and added an LA-EA5 adapter as an impulse buy. But looking at my A-mount lens collection, there are only a handful of screw-drive Minolta primes (all covered by the 24-105 range) and the 35-70/f4 zoom that I would be adapting; the rest have internal motors. Primary among those is the full frame Sony 70-400G2, and a couple of crop-sensor lenses I'd use occasionally (Tokina 11-16/f2.8 and Sony 16-50/f2.8).

So Would I have done better to order the LA-EA3 to use with these motorized A-mount lenses, or are there other advances in the LA-EA5 that make it a better option even for non-screw drive lenses?

(I could post this in the A-mount forum as well, as it's sort of a hybrid question!)

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +4 more
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow