* The Weekly Image Thread 20 11 30 #504 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,024
Re: "Test and Wow" 100-400

For motorsports sometimes I'm shooting at the end of the day when I lose the light if the sun drops below a hill or mountain. At that time f/6.7 is on the edge. It produces a marginal image that doesn't look great cropped. I like to shoot 1/500 with ISO800 or better for this at f/6.7. In the past when I went to ISO1250 or 1600 I did not like the results. That's the reason I bought the 40-150PRO. Even at f/5.6 it's a little better. I can work a strategy to be where I have the light at the end of day. That works for the 75-300 or 100-300 too but it isn't a perfect world. I might find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Would not be the first time.

I needed a margin of error. At the time I was shooting the 16MP sensor. The 20MP sensor is much better are higher ISO and doesn't need to be cropped as much. It might work with the 100-300 Panny or the 75-300 OLY but they aren't great lenses in other ways and I'd need to swap bodies or lenses more. 40mm on the short end is handy. It's perfect for the road race track. I can get away with a one-lens solution at the road race track with the 40-150PRO if I want to. I can use the 12-45 or a prime in the pits. It won't work for every corner or straight but it will work for enough of them.

Motorsports is much less demanding than birds especially if you have media credentials and can get close in most photography locations. The targets are bigger, they move more predictably and you aren't capturing feather detail, just action. Bird photography is much more demanding.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow