Photography is going backwards!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,997
Oh for heaven's sake

Compare like with like.

Stop comparing the historical 'greats' with amateur fluff posted on the web.

If you don't live near a big city, take a city break. New York would be a good choice. List all the galleries showing modern photographs by current artists, both commercial and public. Visit them all.

I am lucky to live in London. There are at least 20 galleries with frequent photo exhibitions. Three I remember that made an impact in recent years were Andreas Gursky, Edward Burtynski, and Stephen Wilkes, but there were dozens of others I liked.

Then there are annual awards, such as the Sony Photo Awards and the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize, which are interesting and suitably controversial.

But sure, if you are sitting at home and don't make an effort to find out what's going on, you can just be like any other grumpy old codger in every decade of every century who keeps moaning about how much better it used to be.

Quite ignoring the millions of incredibly tedious photographs that people used to take back then which, thank goodness, could not be published on the internet.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of historic images are just NOT VERY GOOD.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow