Why my 14-24mm f/2.8G not sharp?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Genevois New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Why my 14-24mm f/2.8G not sharp?

patricksmith32 wrote:

Yes sounds like a bad copy of the lens although I’d need to see examples. Some people have very different opinions on what is sharp or not very sharp. If it’s clearly not sharp, just show us the images. You can easily post them here. I’d definitely return the lens if you’re not happy with it. I believe it is at its worst at 24mm, but it should still be relatively sharp, especially by f/4. There certainly are bad copies of Nikon lenses called sample variety but the 14-24mm f2.8 is a professional lens and has been made since 2007 so I doubt it’s down to a bad sample. What’s much more likely with a used lens or even “new” lens could have been knocked or dropped and has a misaligned lens element. Which of course is also known as decentering, and it causes issues with sharpness.

Many thanks Patrick for your thoughts. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow for comparison as I'm still learning how to do a proper test. But so far the 14-24mm does not seem as sharp as my 24-120mm kit lens in both short distance indoor test and long distance in the field. The resolution is not totally unacceptable but I don't get the "razor sharp" feeling at all. Also, since I'll use it primarily for landscape shots, most likely I will not use f/4 a lot. Thank you again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow