Best Sony camera for adapted lenses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr JLW Senior Member • Posts: 1,299
Re: Best Sony camera for adapted lenses?

Best for adapting lenses depends on the lenses you want to adapt.

For me with vintage lenses designed for film SLR's,  APS -C with focal reducers is the better than full frame because I get a faster lens and very good image quality,

I started with Nikon and Exacta mounts and and some vintage Zeiss(Optons) Leica and Voightlander lenses (German Voightlander)

For the Leitz and Voigtlander optics full frame is better but for most of my lenses, I prefer APS-C with a focal reducer. My Zeiss, Leitz, and Voightlander optics are 50mm f/2 and I really do not need them since I have excellent Nikon and Canon 50's.

With a Nikon to Nex and a FD to Nex focal reducer adapter I have been very p;eased with the performance of most of theses lenses on my Alpha 6000. If the adapted lenses are old SLR lenses I suggest the Alpha 6500 or 6600 with IBIS to help stabilize the long lenses.

I have had good results with Nikon AI including the 180 f/2.8, the 85mm f/2 the 105mm f/4 macro a Sigma 14mm f/3.5 and an Angenieux 35-70 zoom that, with adapting, is faster than f/2 over most of its range and lovely IQ. I also have a Nikon Mount Vivitar 800mm f/11 solid cat and using that is a challenge.  Hand held has worked well at focal lengths to 180, since these are all fast lenses and at ISO > 1000 there is eniugh light for fast shutter speeds.  With teh long lens stabilization  would help a lot so if I were upgrading I woudl go for an APS-C Ibis body.

On the Canon side I have had happy results with the nFD 50mm f/1.4, disaster with the 50mm f/1.8 (It does not mount on my adapter), the nFD 50 mm f/3.5 macro which is outstanding the 135 mm f/2 and an Exacta mount 28mm f/3.5 retro focus. All adapted

I have adapted my DR Sumicron and it gave wonderful rendering but it is cropped. IF I wanted to use it more I would have to go full frame . As lovely as it is there is just not enough benefit over the Canon nFD 50mm f/1.4 to justify the change.

The performance amazes me because these lenses were made to work with film which had a lot less resolution than today's sensors.

If the old rangefinder lenses or contemporary very high resolution lenses are your thing,  full frame is the way to go, but for me with fast vintage film glass, focal reduced APS-c is the sweet spot

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow