Canon R5 Hand-Held

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Canon R5 Hand-Held: the pixels are much smaller.

Uladzimir wrote:

Davidof_CR wrote:

I just wanted to write something similar like Valentine.

Having both R6 + 24-105/4 and EM1-3 + 12-100/4, I would probably choose Oly for handheld landscapes.

Still, R6 is a fantastic camera, best AF I ever saw.

David.

@Funny Valentine

@Davidof_CR

thanks for sharing this, very interesting.

i am also debating which way to go R6 with 24-105 or EM1 iii with 12-100.

If used for landscapes exclusively ( mostly golden hour, also long exposure, but no night sky photography) do you feel the R6 setup would be preferable for this kind of photography because of the higher DR, or the difference is kind of there but not a deal breaker?

Uladzimir

https://www.instagram.com/roadsideviews/
https://www.instagram.com/bnwonmyiphone/

I will post a comparison between the R6 and em1-3 once I get the chance to travel to landscape worthy sceneries.

But for single shots the R6 is a lot better. The aspect ratio is 3:2 which is more suitable for landscapes. The noise level in the bright skies, up to ISO 800, is barely noticeable, which is great. And the shadow recovery is very good. For landscapes I try to never go above ISO 1600 with the R6, which is achievable thanks to the IBIS.

I use the R6 with prime lenses only, so I can't comment on the 24-105. All I can say is the 35 f/1.8 and 85 f/2.0 make a great landscape combination. With the R6, I think the ETTR rule doesn't apply either. But I need more time to experiment.

The em1-3 is really good when you use the HHHRS. It's really great for noise reduction as it stacks 16 pictures together. You can get very clean skies up to ISO 1600 with HHHRS. But for single shots, the bright blue skies look a bit noisy, even at ISO 200. I use the em1-3 mostly with primes so I can't comment on the 12-100. Also the best software to edit HHHRS files is Olympus Workspace, which is painfully slow and makes my laptop to overheat a lot.

But if you do mostly landscapes the Canon R6 is the more versatile camera with the better workflow. I keep the em1.3 for macro and product photography.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow