Does the new RF 50mm make the (heavy and expensive) RF 35mm redundant?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,328
Re: Does the new RF 50mm make the (heavy and expensive) RF 35mm redundant?

RDM5546 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

In other words: it's so affordable it's not very useful as a portrait lens for rule of third compositions. In fact it's so affordable it's not useful as a portrait lens at all as the bokeh is really poor.

A bit over the top, wouldn't you say?

If the EF version could take portraits, then the RF surely can.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Canon%20EF%2050mm%201.8%20portrait&view_all=1

It is really the RF 50 vs the RF35 for potraits when travelling. I will read everone's opinion if the have hands on experience with both lenses. It would nice to include the RF 24-105mm and the RF 24-240mm in any comparisons too. They are all good/great travel lenses IMHO.

The RF 50mm f/1.8 needs the RF 85mm f/2.0 next to it for portraits. The RF 85mm is also better for most half way macro stuff than the 35mm.... so I'm not sure why the 85mm is ruled out for traveling.

In my case i would prefer my adapted sigma f/1.4 Art for traveling over the RF 50mm f/1.8, as the Sigma art allows me to leave the RF 85mm f/2.0 at home for portraits. This lens and a 24-70mm f/2.8. Both lenses are big and heavy, but just these two lenses allow you to leave other primes at home.

Just one 35mm is often too wide (for portraits) and often not wide enough (interiors, city scapes), forcing you to choose (at least) a third lens to take with you. An f/4.0 zoom isn't bright enough for indoors where a 50mm can be a bit too long. Just one f/2.8 standard zoom next to a good 50mm solves everything.

-- hide signature --

victory

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow