Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
danmitch
danmitch Contributing Member • Posts: 682
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

whatamIdoingwrong wrote:

I am a novice for sure and as I replied to a few others I thought maybe I just lacked an understanding of this camera and why it was defaulting to such high ISO settings.

The higher shutter speed was my doing because my son moves so much and then I would usually do the proper aperture/ISO adjustments on my old camera to compensate for loss of light. With a new camera I think I must just have felt messing with it would produce worse results and I was trying to trust it knew better than me. I'd rather post and be and be patronized. I appreciate the responses from everyone and I am going out at lunch to get some more photos to test.

Thank you again

Happy to help!

The Z6 is a terrific camera. I would suggest you might want to start with ISO set to automatic - you should see ISO-A in the display.

You can then set the mode dial to P and the camera will manage the settings for you. As you become more familiar you can experiment.

You are absolutely right to set a faster shutter speed with kids running around, 1/1000 is probably sufficient but the beauty of digital is that you can experiment. If you select "S" mode on the dial that allows you to choose shutter speed and the camera will choose the aperture.

In lower light, it's always going to be a compromise between stopping motion with a high shutter speed and compromising image quality with too high of an ISO speed - fortunately the Z6 has among the best high ISO performance of any camera but in normal use I would still draw the line at around 6400, though I know others will go significantly higher.

To complete the exposure options, the aperture is the lens opening - the higher the number, the smaller the opening (because in fact it is a fraction). At smaller apertures you get greater depth of field - meaning more range of distances will be in focus.

Hope this helps for starters, generally people are really helpful on this forum so go ahead and post questions and photos, you will get answers specific to the camera, there's also a great Beginners Forum at Beginners Questions .

As posted above, we not only were all novices at some point, we are also all learning still.

-- hide signature --

Best - Daniel
A few photos and thoughts at https://www.danmitch.photography
Latest photos on https://www.instagram.com/dangramit/

danmitch's gear list:danmitch's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon Z6 Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow