OneDrive and Photos ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
OneDrive and Photos ...

I recently had a PC hard drive crash. I got a new SSD HD and also got a new copy of Windows 10 since I couldn't find the original media that came with the PC. PC setup went off without a hitch and I then restored my files from the last File History I had. Everything seemed to go OK.

Previously I had used OneDrive to store some files, but never my Photos. I know OneDrive has the option to backup files from your PC, but I never used that feature. I basically used it like an external HD to store certain stuff.

Then I noticed there magically was a 'Pictures' folder on my OneDrive. I'm guessing that installing a fresh copy of windows setup backup of my photos on OneDrive. The other thing I noticed was the amount of space used on my 1TB SSD was much larger than I expected. My photo directory is about 300 GB.

It appears that OneDrive also keeps a local copy of its contents on your PC. Under the \Users\name\ directory there is a 'OneDrive' directory. I'm assuming this is the 'copy' of what is on my cloud based 'OneDrive' directory.

If I'm correct it really means that my photos are actually stored twice on my HD and are taking up about 600GB instead of 300GB. This obviously take up a large amount of the 1TB available.

Anyone know if my assumptions are correct and if so, is there a way to stop OneDrive from storing a local copy of my Photos on my HD taking up valuable space?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow