Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,811
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

FrithjofA wrote:

Sjak wrote:

A Monochrom-camera adds a lot of simplicity to the post-processing. To be honest, I prefer to shoot B&W with my M Monochrom, even though e.g. my K-1 is a technically better camera in all numerical aspects, from resolution to dynamic range to whatever.

You are completely correct and I can fully understand your argument. However, it comes with a price people easily forget: You add complexity in the shooting since you have to define your B&W look up front while shooting.

Myself, I don't experience any added complexity during the shooting.

Then again, I prefer to shoot B&W with an OVF, whereas many people may favour an EVF for this purpose.

Like in the old days of B&W film you need to add and use the appropriate color filter (red, orange or green) to generate the appropriate outcome.

In most of my shooting, filters are not useful anyway, due to low light / low saturation. In bright daylight, sometimes I'll walk around with a yellow or orange filter for a bit of extra contrast and/or lowering the highlights, in particular of the sky. But I find that much less time-consuming than fiddling with colour channels in every individual file.

With the color sensor of the Q2 you do not invest and even think about that. You just add color files in the post process via the software and can adjust the image to you liking later.

So if you are a RAW shooter and not not need very high ISO, personally I would go for the Q2. As an additional add on to you personal collection probably highly recommended but not as a replacement for a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23mm lens.

I can understand your point of view too, and I think you explained very well the virtues of a colour-cam for B&W-images.

It all comes down to personal preferences, and therefore, there's no absolute right or wrong; on the contrary, the same question can get 2 equally good but different answers from 2 different persons And I'm not saying a Mono-cam is an absolute necessity for B&W-images: I also make many nice B&W with my Fuji, Pentax, etc; I just happen prefer the process of a Monochrom-camera, which for me is much less time-consuming.

In addition, I would say that when in doubt, I'd recommend a colour-camera over a Mono-cam.

So in conclusion, both a colour and a mono-camera are very good tools, just different. It's just like talking about what type of car we like most: I highly enjoy driving a convertible, whilst others may argue the trunk-space in a 'vert is limited when compared to a wagon.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow