PL 50-200mm - zoom creep and loose mount?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pietroroman
pietroroman Junior Member • Posts: 25
PL 50-200mm - zoom creep and loose mount?

Hello fellow forum-ers

I might need your help in assessing a lens I just got in. I just traded a whole bunch of lenses and bodies collected over the years to mpb.com for an "excellent" PL 50-200mm + 1.4x adapter.

The lens came in well boxed has all the bits and bobs and looks mint  (box, paperwork, lens hood, pouch) and looks spotless and shoots ok to me.

I'm not an expert and I don't think I have the right skills to push it to the limit and test the optics of the lens as of yet - I'm coming from a 100-300 II and at the moment all seems ok with and without the 1.4x TC. Including a SOOC JPG of the new lens just below just for fun. I use the lens with my Oly e-m1 II or the pen-f

What concerns me now though are two "physical" aspects which I did not notice previously on the 100-300

1) I went on a mild walk (box hill circular) last weekend and I noticed that with the camera hanging from my neck with the lens downwards the zoom will "creep" and extend noticeably just with my walking motion. I had no hood bolted on (just a neutral filter).

2) I can feel some rotating play/travel on the mounts with both of my cameras. This would not happen previously with the 100-300 ii or any other of my lenses (12-40 or other lumix lenses like the small 30-100 or the 12-32) so I would exclude is a lumix/olympus issue perhaps?

The lens seems to perform very well I'm just worried the zoom creep could bring mechanical issues later on (I intend to walk with this lens) eg dislocation or moisture ingress because of poor sealing?

And of course the loose mount worries me for potential breakages?

Any suggestions you could share with me - possibily from other owners of this lens and cameras combination?

Shall I ring mpb and ask for a replacement?

Thank you very much for your time and help

Pietro

SOOC Jpg

pietroroman's gear list:pietroroman's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow