Killer second-hand/used gear under GBP250

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CJAM Forum Member • Posts: 53
Killer second-hand/used gear under GBP250

UK based:

What are the killer used cameras and lenses? Something that is not so old that it only goes to, say, ISO3200 but which can still be used today and give perfectly acceptable results to a serious amateur?

My own current favourite is the E-M1, original version.  Shopping around they can be picked up used for under GBP250 fairly readily, and under GBP200 occasionally.  You get full access to the range of MFT lenses and recent firmware updates mean that the camera is still comparable to many much newer offerings.   Sadly for used buyers, prices of the Mk II version are still holding up very strong.

Moving much further down the price spectrum, used Nikon D200's and D300's can be picked up around the GBP100 mark but in general terms, I feel that their performance is now so far below new models, that they just represent very good value for a "toy", not something for serious work (although I Know that some people do use such gear and do get great results... but not under every lighting condition).

Finding great used lens deals seems to be harder, with the much publicised theory of glass holding its value better than bodies bearing fruit.

Do you have any personal favourites that represent stunning used buys?

CJAM's gear list:CJAM's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S80 Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow