Canon 7D Mark II or 90D for Bird Photography

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP BirdFan2000 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Canon 7D Mark II or 90D for Bird Photography

fairfaxian wrote:

What an excellent and appropriate thread!

I am glad  😀

I pointed out that you can hold the camera closer with OVF and use your face as part of the "virtual tripod" for better camera stabilization.

I prefer OVF with my left elbow pressed against my chest for fast tracking AND perched bird shots. For me, pressing the camera against my cheek adds better camera stabilization. Whereas using the rear screen forces you to hold the camera away from you. OTOH, using rear screen may offer an advantage if you spot a BIF with your eyes and can perhaps more quickly align the camera with your eye view of the subject. I sometimes have issues spotting a bird, then relocating the bird in the OVF using a 600mm lens.

I agree.

FYI- I use 7DII with Sigma 150-600S, and my GF now has 90D with 100-400 Tamron -which drops to F.6.3 fully extended. But with the extra pixels in the 90D, our comparison shots are very similar, yet her gear weighs half of mine. We haven't tested much yet, but I think her setup might have the sharpness advantage at full telephoto.

‘Thank you for your feedback. 😀

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow