Nikon DSLR similar to Lumix GX85

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ammtar New Member • Posts: 17
Nikon DSLR similar to Lumix GX85

It's going to be a bit longer intro, please bear with me... 

In 2006 I bought a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm, 70-300mm, f1.8/35mm, f1.8/50mm. I love(d) the camera. But 10 years later I was losing my interest in photography, got hooked up to motorcycle travel.

Recently got my photo itch again, but when traveling on a motorcycle, the space is golden. Carrying the bag full of lenses and "equipment" is not so practical. And it happened so many times I would miss a nice photo because I was too lazy to stop, take off the bike, open the "trunk", take my camera... You know the drill... So I decided to buy a small, compact point and shoot camera, top flat. I would carry it in the tank bag, or even in the pocket in my jacket. And often I would be able to take a pic from the bike. I know, I'm lazy...

Budget: $500.

I found a couple cameras I like, like Nikon Coolpix A1000, Lumix ZS100/200, Canon G7X Mark II...  Sony cameras are too expensive. And then I found Lumix GX85 with 12-35mm and 45-150mm zooms. It's $597 on Amazon, a bit over the budget, I know. But t's the kit with body and 2 lenses. I know it's not exactly a point and shoot camera but it's VERY similar in size and shape as the mentioned cameras.

And then, since GX85 has multiple lenses,"another" option came to my mind: Is there any Nikon DSLR/mirrorless camera with similar performance, same budget as GX85? In that case I can still use the lenses I already have. I found D3500, D5500, D5600 cameras as an options. They have better reviews than GX85 when it comes about the Image quality, but they are not so good as GX85 in video recording. And a couple more features offered by GX85.

Thanks for any opinion.

Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3500 Nikon D50 Nikon D5500 Nikon D5600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow