Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
kohinoor Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
Re: Another try...

Bassam Guy wrote:

Behind my home is one in a series of parks on the Virginia side of the Potomac. The main reason I purchased the OM 300 f4.5 was for occasional bird & wildlife photography.

Well, today, one of those occasions happened. Some good news and some bad news.

Good news is that there was enough light for a good exposure, colors look pretty good, and - to my eyes - significant chroma is absent.

Bad news is that this bird (hawk?) still required significant cropping, and that I am terrible at focusing this lens - I hope practice will help

1/500 f8 ISO 250. PP - Only a diagonal graduated filter to brighten exposure by .5 stops

As nothing in that shot is as sharp as your landscape shots I think focus is off here. You're within the range of 'acceptable' focus but the peak of focus isn't on the subject.

And if this pic is only cropped but not downsized for posting then we are looking at an equivalent focal length of 1850mm ... and the subject still fills less than 1000px vertically. -Thats asking much even if the subject was nicely lit from the front (instead of back) and with perfect focus.

Advice: Keep trying!

Do you use magnified view for MF? -Helps a lot!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow