Image quality improvement of Sony A7C vs A6000 or Canon G5XII worth the cost?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP MaxPowers37 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Image quality improvement of Sony A7C vs A6000 or Canon G5XII worth the cost?

JeffSlade wrote:

MaxPowers37 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying the Sony A7C and wanted some advice over whether it would be worth it for the kind of photography I do. My thought would be to get this new camera and then sell the A6000 and the prime/zoom lenses that I have with it. My reason being that I don't use the A6000 that often and if I'm going to a carry a camera of that size around I should get the best images possible and that would be from a full frame camera with built in image stabilization.

I'd use the new camera for pictures at home, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas pictures of my family or if I want to take pictures of plants/animals in the backyard or I can walk to around the neighborhood. The other big use is on vacation for Disney pictures (esp at night) or other vacation spots. I'd also like to take good quality photos of real estate that I'm helping someone to sell. I'm not a professional photographer and am in truth not a very good one. I know the basics of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and sometimes try to change the settings but get tripped up and end up back in auto or scene modes often.

If it's an important photo (like the family all together on a vacation spot) I'll try and edit it with Gimp, but don't know how to use lightroom or do much heavy editing and don't shoot in raw.

Lately I've been taking the Canon G5X II more than the Sony A600 because it's so much smaller and easier to carry and takes great photos as well. I think the smaller aperture vs. the kit lens on the A6000 helps.

I've used the burst mode a few times, but when I tried to use it in sporting events people started staring at me due to the noise. So I mainly use it now to try and get a photo where someone isn't blinking.

Would you get the A7C if you were in my shoes? Any other cameras you'd consider? The smaller and easier to carry the better.

When some people hear "image quality" they think in terms of temporal noise, spatial noise, signal-to-noise ratio, dynamic range, etc.

Do you mean those things through your use of "image quality" in your thread title?

Or is your goal to find something small and easier to carry but with a full frame sensor?

Also what is your budget if you have one which would cover both the camera and lens?

Yes, I mean those things, but camera size is extremely important as I won't use a camera that's too big. Carrying the A6000 is a much bigger hassle than the G5XII or RX100 III and I haven't seen much of an improvement in photos. I saw some real estate pictures taken with a full frame camera and they had a look to them I've not seen in cell phone or in my pictures.

So ideally I'd like a full frame sensor or whatever gets the best image quality in something that's compact enough I can carry it in my pocket. I'm not going to attach anything to it or need an extreme zoom. I'd also really like to take night photos that aren't blurry.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow