Canon RF 24-105/F4 versus RF 24-240/F4-6.3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: Internal vs External Zooming and Durability

Karl_Guttag wrote:

I don't know of any studies proving the case of "L" lenses being more durable, but one would think it is true. Pro equipment in the hand of a pro is likely to get used 10x to 1000x that of an amateur taking pictures of their family. There is a lot more travel and the opportunities to bang the lens around with pro use even if they are more careful with each use.

It used to be that most L lenses used internal zooming and focus whereas the new RF-L lenses all have external zooming and focus. Most EF and RF non-L lenses are external zooming and focus. Assuming it is true that EF-L lenses are more durable, will the new externally zooming and focusing RF-L lenses be as durable?

One correction here. It looks like the RF L lenses zoom by telescoping but they do focus internally. While the non L glass do both externally. So far at last.

Remember canon is making a point that they are using new special seals/filters to allow for the telescoping designs without compromising on moisture and dust sealing. I am sure that those special filters aren't used on the non-L lenses. So just because an L and a non L both telescope when zooming doesn't make them in the same league.

I live in The Netherlands, and I do find myself often in a drizzle or even in the rain. If I have the L lens on the body it doesn't bother me one bit. If I have a non-L lens on it though, I do worry. The only lens I won't care as much about that is non-L is the nifty fifty. At €90 for the lens... I am less concerned if it suffered from water damage. If it is a €600 lens on the other hand...

Let me say, it seems the external zooming was done for good reasons, namely making the lenses smaller and lighter, but does it compromise durability?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow