Godox SL100W Lux versus GN

Started Nov 29, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Ferguson Senior Member • Posts: 2,319
Godox SL100W Lux versus GN

I realize LUX (continues light) is real different than GN (flash). But, I'm hoping someone can give some guidance for my specific situation.

I'm primarily a product photographer and use fairly big moonlight flash units (mostly Calumet Travelite 750). I'm almost always tethered to a computer. Typical shutter speed (which isn't terribly important for my flash work) is 1/125. Primarily set there to limit any ambient light in the room.

I would love to be able to use "Live View" while tethered for setting up shots, but the white balance from my 3200K Travelite modeling lights is terrible and without resetting everything on the camera... the image is dark.

So, my idea is to get a couple Godox SL100W continues LEDs. They are daylight balanced and take the same reflectors as my Travelights. Clamp two of them to my two primary light stands, and only turn them on when using live view. They would have to be underneath my soft box or umbrella, but would "approximate" my lighting.

So, two questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1) A rough guess at LUX versus GN for this setup. The Godox is 6500LUX at 1 meter. I can't (well, don't want to) be changing the shutter speed. It will stay at about 1/125 in both shooting and live view. Many/most of my work is high speed/pressure enough that I don't want to be resetting the camera for live view and then forgetting to reset it for shooting.

2) The remote control for the Godox, can it turn the lights on and off? They advertise how good the remote is for changing power settings, but that isn't what would be important for me.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow