Nikon Coolpix 950P versus Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JMoochie Regular Member • Posts: 499
Nikon Coolpix 950P versus Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 II

These two cameras are roughly the same price. Their introductions are within a year of each other. I've read several reviews of each.  I've read the specs for each.  The professional reviews don't make effective subjective comparisons of various shooting scenario performance. Same for the "Comparators" that are on several photo sites. The Amazon reviews are 4.2 for the 950, 4.6 for FZ1000. Some complain about the build quality/issues with the FZ1000.

What I know:

Panny has better 1" sensor which is some degree better in low light/faster moving objects than Nikon. Panny has a touch screen, not important to me - I've experienced that on my Samsung S9 phone. Best mainly if no physical button controls.

Nikon has > double the lens reach. and is heavier and a bit larger.

What I don't know:

How do these two compare in auto-focus at various mm/distance and lighting conditions?

Which one has the more natural/useful/intuitive control layout?

How do the BT/wifi implementations compare between the two?

Is the longer reach all that the Nikon has going for it compared to the Panasonic, or does it have other redeeming qualities?

I have been happy with my 6-year old Finepix HS50 - 24-1,000mm. But I figure in 6 years there should be some significant improvements, especially for $350 more than the HS50 costs. I'd especially look for speedier focus at higher mm.

It appears that the FZ1000 II is the better all-around camera, but I hate the idea of reverting to less than half the mm reach I've been accustomed to.  True, I don't shoot beyond 400mm very often, but...

I don't have any "favorite" shooting preferences/objects. I'm an all-arounder. I don't know if I would sell my Fuji or not.  If I did, it would be <$100.

JMoochie's gear list:JMoochie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P950 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S9+ +3 more
Nikon Coolpix S9 Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow