Filter Step Up Ring Stuck Threads,,, Possible Solution

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pcrc11 Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Filter Step Up Ring Stuck Threads,,, Possible Solution

Started a topic here last week about how to keep step up ring threads from sticking to filters and it seemed the best answer was "nose grease". Having thought on the matter and wanting something better I think I may have finally come up with a solution that is seeming to work for me. Thread the filter onto the step up ring but dont screw it on all the way. Leave a tiny gap between the ring and the filter mating surfaces. Then take a thin rubber band and wrap it around them and let the band fall into that gap. The friction from the rubber is enough to hold the ring tight and the threads will not spin even when turning a circular polarizer back and forth. When you want to remove the filter just pull the rubber band out and the filter will screw right off with no problem,, at least that is what I have experienced so far.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow