Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens

jwpnyc wrote:

I recently bought a Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens, but the lens is terrible. Please see the attached image. For comparisons, I used my Canon 85 f/1.4 to shoot the same chart. I really like to have a 50mm and want the 50mm which is made by Canon. I am not sure if it is me or the lens. The top of the image 85mm. The bottom of the image is 50mm. FYI. The camera is 5D IV.

The EF 50mm 1.2L is from 2006 and was designed for film, to get dreamy very soft backgrounds at large apertures and to be very sharp from 2.8.

The result of those considerations are chromatic aberrations and subpar sharpness wide open. Till newer +10 elements designs appeared, like the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, all 50/55/58mm 1.2/1.4 lenses were quite soft wide open.

Fast 85mm lenses are far sharper wide open, even the old EF 85mm 1.2L from 1989 with simpler optical design is very sharp, though it shows a lot of chromatic aberrations, as it was designed for film.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow