bit depth and dynamic range

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pula58 Forum Member • Posts: 82
bit depth and dynamic range

Comparing two camera's, the Canon G1X III (APS-C) and Olympus EM-5 III (u4/3)  I see that the bit-depth on the canon is 14 and the bit depth is 12 for the Olympus. Canon G5X II (1") also has a 14-bit bit-depth.

Does that necessarily mean that the G1X III  has more dynamic range than the EM-5 III, that you may have better success at retrieving shadow areas from Raw files?

I do a lot of outdoor photography, in the mountains especially (snow, bright clouds, shadows), and dynamic range is a big deal for me. So, I am trying to understand what cameras aspects will impact that.

And does sensor size necessarily correlate to dynamic range? In other words, does a large sensor have more dynamic range than a smaller one? From the above (Canon G5X II/Olympus Em-5 X III) example it looks like size does NOT necessarily directly translate to dynamic range.

Thanks!

Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow