Canon 7D Mark II or 90D for Bird Photography

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,115
Re: Canon 7D Mark II or 90D for Bird Photography

First, I would highly recommend this Youtube video which directly compares the 7DII and 90D for nature photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkymaBq-Oo&t=333s

As good as the 90D is, the 7DII still out-muscles it a few respects. First, the AF system is simply more robust. Sixty-five AF points over the 90D's 45. A second microprocessor dedicated to the AF system. It's almost the same AF system used in the 1DX. The 90D is probably less reliable in viewfinder mode while more reliable in LiveView, but at the cost of speed, which drops to 7fps. Additionally, the 7DII buffer can not only accommodate more continuous images (nearly 1100 Fine JPG or 31 Raw files), but the buffer clears out far faster than the 90D. In short, it smokes the 90D for burst shooting.

NOTE: For the those who want to shoot a really large number of raw shots continuously, the 7DII offers two reduced raw file sizes which clear the buffer faster. The 90D removed the smaller resolution raw file and opted for a full-resolution compressed file. The compressed file format saves a great deal of card space, but (from what I can tell) does not reduce the buffer time because of the processing time needed to compress it.

Body-wise, I find the 80D and 90D to be fine companions to the 6DII, which shares much of the same construction quality, layout and functions. The 7DII is a better companion for the 5D series, and particularly the Mark III and Mark IV, to which it is simply their APS-C twin in most respects.

The 90D has plenty of advantages over the 7DII, but I believe they are primarily in LiveView options and capabilities, as well as the newer sensor. Frankly, it's a hell of a toss-up between the two cameras. One is a slightly older V8 muscle car with "pro" written all over it and the other is a more modern, enthusiast-tuned turbo-4. The AF system of the 7DII alone would sway me for birding, but I can understand the attraction of a robust LiveView system in the 90D. "Tilty" screens are great, but I just don't trust them in the wild. And I do love the confidence a tough, rugged body can inspire.

Good luck

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow