Question on R5 Image Processing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Question on R5 Image Processing

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

I have raw files from my EOS R with file size range of 40-45mb a piece, while my 32mp M6II would range from 35-40mb a piece. In my 12-core 9th Gen i7 desktop machine that runs on nVidia GT1050ti GPU and SSD, to batch process/convert to JPEG 5 raw files would take me approx:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds
  • All processed on SSD then later on moved to HDD

While my PC specs are just slightly above average, I was wondering if I would need to also start upgrading my machine in the event I purchase the R5. For obvious reasons, I did not have to upgrade more than a year ago when I moved from the 5DMIV to the EOS R.

What's the file size range of an R5 raw file and how long does it take to convert it into either TIFF or JPEG?

All figures here btw are using Canon's proprietary DPP (digital lens optimization on), landscape profile, all other settings at default). I also don't have any storage issue because I have more than adequate cloud subscription and 8TB of HDD that's only 40% full on a machine with an OS that runs on 512gb SSD.

I did have to build a new PC when I bought the 32 MP M6ii last year. DPP is definitely pokey, but my beef isn’t about the converting times (I just take a break and check my email). It’s the rendering delay as I make my initial adjustments. I’d love to see a more efficient software build!

R2

I completely agree. It’s difficult to make adjustments when there is so much delay in the rendering. I like to move the slider back and forth quickly to be able to eye ball the results. It’s a shame that the colours in Adobe software are so poor...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow