What do you use to backup / protect your RAW library and how?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,988
What do you use to backup / protect your RAW library and how?

I'm someone like a lot of us I expect, that needs to get better at backing up my huge RAW cat (around 27K, granted not as much as some here). Up until now, I manually from time to time just drag the folders across to an identical size drive (I have lots of drives in my PC but the raw library is on a 10TB drive inside the PC, and I backup to the other 10 TB drive I also have internally (both nas pro drives).

Not interested in external "NAS" units as I have a huge server like case and dont want the clutter on my desk or need network access to my work (Of course I do backup to externals etc and do offsite backup) so please don't suggest this.

My question is i watched this video from Tony Northrup, albeit old, sound advice. I am running a newly built AMD 3900x 12 core processor with 128 GB DDR4 3600 RAM and a 1070 GTX with 9 HDD inside (some M.2 and few SSD and others old large 3.5" drives).

Video here on PC advice and backup advice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbsyglPqK6o&list=LLtKgB5ecJrOVS-EETdv6R1g&index=166

Where do I go from here? Do you recommend storage spaces and simply mirror the data with windows own program? (obviously have the other forms of backup in place also (I find it would simpler than doing BIOS hardware RAID perhaps.) Tony recommends NeFS to which finds and fixes corruption (I think I experienced this before with the odd file) but sadly windows 10 now only has this available on the workstation edition of it's platform. I can of course use stoage spaces without NeFS and just use NTFS. What is the best way to protect against "bit rot", protect your data, and to do an easy "not much thought about it" 3-2-1 backup?

Which is best, what do you do, let's discuss...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow