Cost of Canon lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

gertcher wrote:

I have just bought a new Canon EOS R5, it on is way. I also bought an adaptor to use my EF lenses.

My last camera purchase was a Canon EOS 1000, so you can see I have made a huge upgrade, and I am totally out of touch with current trends and prices.

I have been looking at Canon RF lenses and astonished at the cost. I understand there are a couple more contacts, I cannot see the justification for a 3x price hike compared to my EF lenses.

Are the RF lenses a great leap forward in lens design? Are all lenses of this quality, no mater what make, now so expensive?

Seconding the bits about the pro market and the APS-C to FF jump.

Very broadly speaking, the zooms are a couple hundred bucks more than my E-mount zooms, and so absolutely drool-worthy that they're definitely "worth" it.

And then the primes are just stupid in f-stops, size, and price.  And they're the reason I haven't switched to Canon yet.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow