Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,828
Re: Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

Two that you don't have on your list. The 18-135 and the 16-55/2.8. The E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS is very popular for general uses. It has a longer focal length range than your current lens, and is generally given very good reports for optical performance. I don't if the seasonal savings in the US are available there but I'd expect there would be savings on most lenses. It does have OSS which can be handy on the A6400 which doesn't have IBIS.  I'm quite happy with my 18-135.

Sony E 16-55mm f/2.8 G quite a bit more expensive but is a fast and optically excellent lens.  It doesn't have OSS.

The 18-105 is a constant f4 as is the 16-70.  It's a rather bulky lens compared to the others.  It's pretty comparable to the 18-135 optically (reviews can be handy to check on any of these lenses.)  With power zoom it's somewhat better suited for video than the smaller, more compact 18-135.  The 16-70/4 is kind of expensive and perhaps either lens to lens variations and/or optical performance maybe not up to it's price.

The 24-70/4 is OK, but with a 24mm wide end, isn't as convenient as the others on aps-c cameras.  Many don't find it wide enough.

I'm wondering a little bit if the spot you are seeing on your images might not be a dust spot on the sensor.  I've got a spot on mine and it only showed up when I tried some video which resulted in a smaller aperture than I usually use.  Not sure how a chip or scratch might show up.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow