Question for M-series and Powershot G series owners

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 261
Question for M-series and Powershot G series owners

I have the original EOS-M with the 18-55 kit zoom, 22 mm f/2.0, and EF 50 mm 1.8 II with adapter. I really like the image quality I get out of it, especially with the primes. However, I've noticed that I don't use it that much these days, for a few reasons, in no particular order:

• It's only somewhat pocketable with the 22 mm, and with the others it's not pocketable at all, so I simply don't take it with me most of the time
  • None of the lenses I have are great all-around, so I have to switch a lot, which can be tedious
  • I take mostly pictures of kids these days, and the original M is slow, causing a lot of shots to be out of focus
  • The reach isn't great, and to get more would set me back at least a couple hundred dollars and make it even less compact
  • This may sound like a dumb reason, but lens caps. It's just a pain to have to take them off and put them on all the time. I even lost the one for the 18-55 in a field taking pictures of my kite while flying it...

I've had the camera for 6 years, but lately I've been looking at the Powershot G series. Specifically, the G5X mk II. It has a lot of advantages:

• Truly pocketable
  • Much more zoom reach
  • No changing lenses
  • From the sounds of it, faster autofocus and overall operation than my M, so I should get more keepers
  • A flash
  • An EVF for those bright days
  • And yes, no lens caps

I'm the kind of person that just wants to have one main camera. Plus I would like to recoup some of the cost of buying another one, so if I did get the G5X II, I would sell my M gear. Obviously, if I make the switch I will be giving up image quality. I am going to miss the portrait lens especially, I think. Truthfully, all the things on the second list except for the EVF (which is not a must-have for me) could also be said for a small-sensor compact, but I know I wouldn't be satisfied with the image quality from one of those. So the question is, how much of a hit in image quality am I going to be taking? I have looked at sample galleries, and I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen of the G5X II and the others with the same sensor, but I would like to hear from people who have owned both. It doesn't have to be the original M and the G5x II, but just one of the M-series and one of the 1" sensor G?X series. Thanks for any comments you have.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
ANSWER:
Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow