Canon RF 24-105/F4 versus RF 24-240/F4-6.3?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,118
Re: RF Lenses Seem to be Designed Requiring Digital Correction

Karl_Guttag wrote:

ProDude wrote:

Sounds to me like an accurate assessment of the 24-240 and agrees with my findings. I'm moving back to full-frame having shot APS-C since 2000 (Canon D30, using film before that). The 24-240 is very sharp in the center and loses resolution in the corners at either end of the zoom range. One thing a little different is that you can't get the resolution back by stopping down at the wide end because the resolution loss is caused by scaling.

I'm curious if you have compared DXO software versus Canon's DPP4 for correction? I have compared Photoshop RAW and DPP4 and DPP4 is obviously much better both in terms of distortion and particularly chroma aberration correction.

I find DPP4 does an amazing job with chroma aberrations. It seems to totally eliminated them without hurting colors/saturation. DPP4 is much slower than Photoshop but does a much better job. I'm curious if DXO is worth gettting.

I'll have to check that out. The other night I was playing with some RAW's I took in DPP but it was so frustratingly slow and didn't seem to show all the adjustments on each page which really drove me nuts. I even took one of our members here's suggestion to get rid of a directory that slows down DPP. But it still seems to crawl. And I have a pretty fast I7 computer with plenty of RAM.  But now you've got my curiosity up I'll check it out tomorrow

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow