Thanksgiving meal with 5DS R @ High ISO

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wzhang
wzhang Regular Member • Posts: 310
Thanksgiving meal with 5DS R @ High ISO

Wife is a wonderful cook and I like to try some cooking as well although not very often. Now our 12-year-old started to be able to do a few things in the kitchen as well. We were spending Thanksgiving all by ourselves, and thought we could play with food styling and, well, photography. It was a busy day but I think we did ok. The 5DSR-100mm combo was really wonderful capturing the colors and details in low light, I think.

I don't own any studio lighting so had to take full advantage of a living room window that has the best natural light in the house. One obvious thing that I can improve is ISO. With multiple dishes in and out of that space that required various angles, I wasn't confident enough that a tripod can be efficiently used. So I went with hand-held, high ISO. I'm hoping to be able to incorporate the tripod into my work flow better in the future.

I understand that 5DS R's high ISO performance isn't the greatest.  But when I tried 5D4 under similar conditions, the photos always looked more grainy, at the same size.  I'm lacking enough knowledge to explain my thoughts well, but I'm guessing the large pixel count of the 5DSR sensor "compensates" its high ISO performance?  When I magnify these photos to a size larger than my computer screen (3840x2160), I find the level of details still ok.  I'm open to different opinions though.  Forgive my ignorance if there are stupid mistakes in my logic.

C&C will always be appreciated. Happy post-Thanksgiving!

The classic Good Eats roasted turkey

In lieu of a pumpkin pie, which we find too sweet most of the time, my wife baked some pumpkin dinner rolls. They were delicious and relatively guilt-free.

I like Brussels sprouts but this one is special. The addition of pomegranate seeds made it much more photogenic. Mashed potatoes was made by our 12-year-old.

I call this dish The Harvest Sauté.

The good old green beans with shallots

Star of the night: Cook's Illustrated's cranberry tart

A slice of the tart the next day

-- hide signature --

A scientist with an art-loving heart.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153974059@N02/

wzhang's gear list:wzhang's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CD1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow