ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,433
Scottelly's sd Quattro H

Scott,

What is broken in your sd Q H.?

Was the lens damaged also.?

S

The front plate broke (almost came off the camera). I don't think the lens is broken at all. It looks to have no problems. It doesn't have a scratch on it. The camera "saved" the lens, "cushioning" its landing. Here's a photo of the front of the camera, showing the crack and how the front panel of the camera is pulled out from the camera (most-likely caused by the lens, when the camera stopped moving, and the lens just refused to stop moving):

Notice the dirt on the right side of the camera, where it hit the ground.

View: original size

I was hoping for some kind of killer deal on the SD Quattro H on Black Friday, but so far that hasn't happened. I worry that if I get the camera fixed, it will cost me almost as much as a new one, and the weather seals won't work right anymore. If that happens, since it won't be under warranty it could be put out of commission again the first time I get caught in a sprinkling rain again, like happened more than once on this recent trip. The thing is, that's the first time it happened to me in more than a year, so I could get the camera back and use it for a few weeks or a few months, before it gets ruined by rain, and my money is down the drain. At least if I get a new one, I can be relatively sure a light rain won't kill my camera. Too bad the 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art isn't weather sealed too. I COULD just buy a Nikon 24-70 G or 24-120 f4 VR G lens, and be done with it. I can still use my Sigma lenses on a Sony A7r IV, when I finally get one, using my MC-11 adapter, or on a future Sigma full-frame Foveon camera. I've also been considering the purchase of a used Nikon Z7, with an adapter for my Nikon lenses and another adapter for using Sony E-mount lenses, which would be much less expensive than the Sony A7r IV, and I can use my amazing Nikon 85mm f1.4 G and all Sony E-mount lenses (including my Sigma SA-mount lenses, by using my MC-11 adapter). Eventually I'll probably get another SD Quattro H though, whether it be one that comes on sale or a good deal on a used one, because I believe that even a Nikon Z7 won't have the image quality I got with my SD Quattro H. For now I will continue to shoot with my Nikon D810 and my Sigma SD1 Merrill, and I will miss my SD Quattro H for a while.

Luckily the SD Quattro H didn't get killed near the beginning of my trip, so I have lots of photos of the autumn leaves, made with a Foveon sensor, like this one:

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow