9 year old buy help!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,105
Re: 9 year old buy help!

Andy Currie wrote:

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

I see that several people have commented on the D3500 kit, but I can find very few reviews of it and the lens. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

The D200 was my second DSLR and I still enjoy using it a lot. . . But I think that a D3500 is a better choice for a child as small as a 9 year old. It's small enough to fit in a tiny fanny pack and certainly a child's daypack. Your kid can simply select P and have a blast, saving the other modes for learning purposes. No Way would I saddle a young beginner with a single prime lens. The 18-55 kit lens has all of the basic starter DX focal lengths including a wide-angle range that I loved exploring as a young beginner.

This blog articleabout the D3500 and 18-55 zoom by Ming Thein is one of my all-time favorite photo gear "reviews." Don't let its tongue-in-cheek title throw you off. . . The reader comments are also worth perusing. Ming only paid $300 for his brand new kit from a reputable eBay seller.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow