Photography Experienced Analog Man Wants to Go Digital

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
T S Wonko New Member • Posts: 6
Photography Experienced Analog Man Wants to Go Digital

My experience with photography goes back to the mid to late 70’s. My step dad was a professional photographer, so I guess it goes back farther than that, He was technically a news photographer, shooting film for the local NBC affiliate then switching as the tech changed. I remember that he was filming the protests at Kent State when the shootings started and riots in Cleveland from under their car when it got bad. He also had a side business and a darkroom. He gave me my first camera, a Minolta SRT 101 and I was hooked. I built my own darkroom (I lived with my grandparents) and just became obsessed.  Adams and the Zone System. I mixed developer solutions not from packages but using the ingredients and looking up old formulas. Then I discovered Ralph Gibson and Rodinal. I bought Pentaxes and eventually turned to Nikon F bodies and lenses and a Mamiya  645 plus occasional use of Dad’s RB67. My darkroom work became pretty obsessive as well as my hero’s were Adams, Brett Weston, Ralph Gibson and especially W Eugene Smith. I did a few weddings and a couple of band promos and some other stuff but my thing was always the process and the mental zone and observational mindset that came with photography.

The in rapid succession got married 2 years out of high school, had a kid, had to get a steady job, house yadda yadda yadda.... I still have most of my old darkroom tanks, trays and graduates in boxes I’ve been toting around all this time.

I bought a Nikon D3200 a while back and decided that it just irate the blah blah blah out of me. It takes too many steps to do things I did on autopilot before, things like exposure compensation in particular. Heck my most used Nikon had a plain prism on it with no meter. I did have a Luna Pro and a Pentax Spot meter (hand me down from Dad). I took it on vacation to France and wound up leaving it in our room for my iPhone which I actually find pretty intuitive and can usually get a decent shot even in tough lighting.

But the truth is I’m looking a retirement before too long. I want to get into photography like it was for me but the digital version... annoys me. It’s not that I’m a Luddite - I’m actually a computer loving tech weenie. First of all I don’t want or need 7 out of 10 things most cameras brag about. What’s the digital version of hold the film flat and the best lens possible? Planned obsolescence? My Nikons were old when I got them and not that different from that used for decades and still produced state of the art results by the standards of the day. Look, a new Quasar 400000.1415926 with a resolution of a googolplex of pixels only to be replaced the next year by a new model that can calculate the age of the universe to within 15 seconds....

Paying a subscription for Lightroom? That’s like renting a darkroom to me.

That’s a lot of words, sorry, but they’ve been building up for a couple of years.

I’m looking for that meditative observational zone again and maybe a chance to pick up a supplementary income to offset.

Anyone still reading this screed, thanks!

Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow