Is it worth going from Sony A7III to Nikon Z 6ii just for the 24, 35, 50 & 85 f1.8S Lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Is it worth going from Sony A7III to Nikon Z 6ii just for the 24, 35, 50 & 85 f1.8S Lenses?

Hey All,

A couple of years ago I decided to sell all of my Fujifilm gear and get into the world of Full-Frame mirrorless. I, of course, went with the Sony A7III at the time because it was the best option on the market then. I’ve bought a few lenses since then and have tried several more. But, I have never enjoyed using the camera as much as I did with my Fujifilm. There’s just something about the Sony cameras that just makes the experience “dull” and uninspiring to me. It’s not something I can really explain other than I simply don’t enjoy shooting with it.

With that being said, I’ve decided to start taking a look at other options. Mainly, Canon and Nikon. I asked a similar question like this on the Canon forum and was surprised when I was told that I shouldn’t look into a Canon R6 and the f1.8/2.0 primes because, they simply aren’t any good. I only shoot for fun and don’t do any pro or paid work. So, spending roughly $10k on a Canon R6 and RF glass just doesn’t make sense to me.

So now, I’m taking a hard look at Nikon. Specifically, either the Z5 or Z6 II. I think Nikon has really made a smart decision to build out their f1.8 glass first before moving onto pro lenses. It allows more accessibility to those who aren’t pros. And all of their f1.8 S lenses look incredible to me. Although subjective, it’s impressive that the 50mm f1.8 S lens is currently the highest rated lens on DPReview. I also enjoy the fact that the focus ring can be customized! Likely, I would set that to aperture and the dials for ISO and Speed control and then be set.

My question is though is this: Are the Nikon f1.8 S lenses worth getting into the Nikon Mirrorless system for? I couldn’t care less about video. I’m strictly a photographer. And, I mostly shoot portraits. I’d likely start off with the 35mm, 50mm & 85mm. then follow it up with the 24mm eventually. How do these lenses perform in terms of sharpness, color, and background lit (with the sun) for portraits?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Nikon Z6 II Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow