Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,387
Re: Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

Flycaster wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has for me 😊

Regards

Thanks, Nor. That's good news. I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

I use C1 but DXO-Photolab is very good, noise reduction and lens profiles are better than C1's. DeepPrime noise reduction only works on raw files.

For example the lens on the Panasonic FZ1000 is designed for computer lens correction. They design the lens with residual lens distortion, typically barrel distortion which is easily corrected in software. The in camera jpg has to do a quick&dirty correction which for speed and low in camera computer power involves a crop. After the crop you have the fov/focal length quoted on the lens. If you use DXO you can actually access the wider fov/true focal length of the lens at wide angle. Adobe, for whatever reason just give you the embedded jpg correction when you work on raw files.

If you use NIK then DXO uses Control Points for local adjustments and is effectively Viveza on steroids.

This short video will give you an appreciation of how they work in Photolab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuv2HF1sTg&t=165s

Ian

Ian, can you tell me how you installed the Google NIK into Dxo PL4? Thanks.

I have the DXO version of NIK. DXO-Photolab Elite V4 automatically picks up if you have the NIK collection installed and you can export images to NIK Collection plugins as an external editor. Works the same for Google version as far as I know.

Ian

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow