R5 + Control Ring adapter totally black images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,207
R5 + Control Ring adapter totally black images

Yesterday I stopped by our local camera store to checkout the R5 to see how I liked it and how my existing EF lenses work with it using the control ring adapter.  For the most part it quite impressive.  However, when I was doing the tracking test using the 100-400M2 on cars driving by the store one entire sequence of 25 images came out totally black.  Looking at the EXIF information compared to the sequence immediately before and after showed minor changes in the shutter and/or aperture however the focal length showed 100mm.  I shot all the tracking test sequences at 400mm and only a couple of static shots at 100 with this lens.  When I switched to my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 I got one image totally black and once again there is only a slight difference in the EXIF compared to the prior and next shots with the same lens.  I was using the SD card from my 5D4 and other than these 26 images the other 400+ came out fine.  In the time I've used this card in the 5D4 I've never had any issues whatsoever.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this or have any ideas what would cause this?

BTW - first impression is this is a great stills camera...a lot to learn to get the most out of it but the tracking is really good and image quality (even though it was a crappy overcast day) is a notch better than the 5D4.  Now I'm wondering if this could replace my 5D4 and 7D2.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow