Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: is it the last one ?

Mark Ransom wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Oly has filed for patents on some larger format lens designs, so who knows? I don't foresee them trying to mimic Sigma and build lenses compatible with several mounts, though.

If JIP succeeds where Olympus failed, it will be by doing something unexpected. It's obvious that keeping the same old strategy will lead to the same old results.

I don't think that is necessarily true. We just don't know. The camera business across the industry itself is under pressure as we all know.

My take is that the unit marginal profit of both camera and lenses sold was likely pretty good. But the volume (Industry-wide) became such that the camera division became unable to cover it's share of corporate overhead. There was likely a large amount of allocated overhead because Olympus is a large company with a legacy of retirement payments, infrastructure and manufacturing plants, equipment, marketing, travel and such.

A smaller, leaner company would not likely carry that same burden of corporate overhead and could well be profitable. There certainly will be a leaning out of new product offerings - or outsourcing - and the marketing and service structure will also need to be leaner. But that doesn't mean there would not be service for repair; perhaps just fewer facilities. That would make sense anyway (industry-wide) because volumes are no longer as great as when infrastructure was put in place.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow