Z 6ii general chat plus AF woes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MooImages New Member • Posts: 15
Z 6ii general chat plus AF woes

I've been shooting exclusively on a Nikon D500 for the last 3 years, then a couple of weeks ago took the plunge and purchased the Z 6ii. So it is my first mirrorless and I have no experience of other makes or models.

So far I love the usability, the bright and large viewfinder, the huge dynamic range (or in other words forgivability at getting exposure wildly wrong!) and the lack of high ISO noise. The D500 is fair for noise but I've never been as impressed as others seem to be - Likely as I shoot for stock where low noise is particularly important.

I've been reading through Steve Perry's autofocus book so have some understanding of the appropriate AF modes for different situations. So far, I have to say I'm less than impressed. The "group mode substitute" (wide modes) do not lock on when there's a detailed background, whether a stationary subject or BIF. I gave it a good test for BIF the other day and found it very poor and very slow. I do need to read more of the book though to get more familiar with the AF modes before I judge too harshly.

Last night I took my D500 out for the first time in a couple of weeks, and compared to my new mirrorless, felt like I was holding an old brick to my face! I wouldn't have expected it to feel so different, or the viewfinder to be so small in comparison.

I can't afford new Z lenses yet unfortunately, not without selling my D500. If Nikon would improve the Z series AF and give us a decent group AF option that works, I'll likely sell the D500, but can't bring myself to for now.

That's all I wanted to say. It's more of a "Hello I have a new Z 6ii" post as I rarely write here but did want to show my face. Overall I'm loving my new camera and looking forward to less COVID restrictions so I can get out more and really test it in more situations.

MooImages's gear list:MooImages's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow