17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FantasticMrFox
FantasticMrFox Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: 17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

I have the Sigma 17-50 HSM on my K3 and find it to be so-so. Optically I am relatively happy with it, however the AF is hit and miss, good enough most of the time, but upon closer inspection it often misfocuses, despite me having calibrated the focus to the best of my abilities. Also take into account that it has no degree of weather sealing whatsoever, something I miss on my K3 compared to the sealed 18-55 kit.

The current Pentax is sealed, but by all accounts a terribly overpriced lens for its lacklustre optical performance. Even Pentaxforums ranked it last in its comparison with the Tamron and Sigma.

If you can wait a little, the upcoming new Pentax 16-50 will probably outperform all of the above in every respect (optically, sealing, AF ...), but will be considerably more expensive, of course.

Edit: My bad, I somehow misread and thought you are looking for a 16-50 style lens. Well, now you have some recommendations for those

-- hide signature --

Portfolio, travelogues and reviews on my website: http://www.thefoxtakespictures.com

FantasticMrFox's gear list:FantasticMrFox's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax K-3 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow