Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,262
Re: Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

starfly wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

starfly wrote:

Hoping Sigma will still come to RF mount with f/1.4 primes in the next year or two.

Would be nice. If that new compact Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for the Sony mount comes over to RF mount and Sigma does a 50mm like that i will order those lenses in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but it's a big IF though. Lots of rumors, but still no announcements, and RF mount has been around for 2 years now. But perhaps with the R5/R6 being so popular and Canon now clearly having indicated they're committed to mirrorless, it definitely provides an incentive for Sigma to start making lenses for RF mount, as Canon has a large share of the overall market, and I'll bet their share of mirrorless will rise against Sony.

But it'll all depend on whether they can reverse engineer the RF protocol to take advantage of the new technology, and on whether Canon isn't going to block them from doing so.

In my mind Canon makes some of the best zoom and long tele lenses (when getting L of course), but for primes I think their f/1.2 stuff is overpriced and overkill for most photographers. I was hoping for f/1.8 L primes, but of course that's not going to happen, and f/1.4 from Canon will probably take years. Hopefully 3rd parties such as Sigma can fill that gap.

I'm just accepting the adapter.  I want Canons wide open focusing for low light, so i know why I'm using Canon, and therefor i will just accept the rest.

The price/performance ratio for used (both native and third party) EF glass is a factor too.  I got my EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L mk II + sigma 50mm & 105mm f/1.4 Art all together for the same price as the RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM........  You will have a hard time to shop that IQ for that price on another platform.  I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the adapter. Accepting that adapter is a small price to pay, and i just love love love the drop in CP and ND filter.

But to stay on topic, if you want high quality f/1.8 relatively compact and relatively affordable primes, 50mm is a problem, although 35&85mm could be acceptable.  I would go Nikon if 50mm is important.

-- hide signature --

victory

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow